Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What's your ideal bookshelf?

I adore books. Although technology now allows us to read the latest masterpieces in sheet-thin gadgets like the Nook, iPad, or Kindle, I still like the romance of actually turning the page, running my fingers across the words, and feeling the paper in my hands.


I have such a fond memory of books. I still remember when my Mom bought me my very first Sweet Valley Kids book: Elizabeth's Super-Selling Lemonade. It was in National Bookstore at the Greenhills Shopping Center in the Philippines, back when it still looked dingy and run-down (now, it's upscale and fabulous). And it was the beginning of many trips to the bookstore (I swear, I collected almost the entire Sweet Valley Kids and Twins series) and my love affair with reading -- and consequently, writing.


There's so much to be said about a person based on his or her choice of books. Because reading is such a personal solitary journey, and no one can force you to take up an adventure you don't want to get into.


Jane Mount was what got me started on thinking about books today. She is an artist who I stumbled upon on a visit to one of my favorite sites, 20x200. Her current project is called the "Ideal Bookshelf," where (to paraphrase) she "paints people's favorite books, books that changed their lives, books that made them who they are."


Here are some of her -- and other people's -- "ideal bookshelves:"


Jane Mount's favorite books from her childhood

Jane Mount's interpretation of the "super-ideal" shelf of cookbooks

Fashion icon, Robert Verdi's "ideal bookshelf" by Jane Mount

Famed blogger Tina Roth Eisenberg's favorite kids' books, by Jane Mount

Jane Mount's "ideal" young adult books collection


If you look closely, you can see the work that went into recreating the details in each book spine. Even how the books were arranged is a big part of the artwork. More importantly, it makes you think about what you would put in your "ideal bookshelf."


Read more about Jane Mount and her works here.

No comments:

Post a Comment