Monday, August 15, 2011

See a new light

Endless cornfields.  Vast farmlands.  Sleepy suburbs.  Impressions of Ohio (specifically Dayton) that remained with me for quite some time.


Literally and metaphorically oceans apart from the bustling city of Manila (where I was from), Dayton was quiet and rustic.  People were extremely nice and polite.  Parks and the outdoors were the primary places of recreation.  And shops were closed by nine.  It only reinforced my views of Dayton.


Until light was shed through the city's art scene.


"Light," the 20th Annual Open Members' Show at the Dayton Visual Arts Center features over 140 works of art by the gallery's local artist members, juried by Dublin Arts Council Executive Director, David S. Guion, Ph.D.




The exhibit provides an extensive representation of arts in the city.  While it showcases differing perspectives, each piece points towards a "light" that expresses a kind of self-discovery.








In its own quiet way, the exhibit opened my mind to my new home.  For me, it served as an inspiration not only to explore and create art, but to discover and continuously mold myself.


"Light" runs until August 20, 2011.  The "lights" will be turned off at 6:00 p.m.  Contact DVAC for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment