Friday, August 26, 2011

First date night EVER

Speaking of date nights, I actually started off our very first one.  We agreed ours would be dinner-and-movie-at-home.  So I chose the movie "Hairspray," which I used as inspiration for many of the elements for the evening.


I had a single ticket printed out as a teaser to the fun, vibrant evening.  (Yeah, I went there.  I had A LOT of free time in my hands.)


The colors were reflected in the fun bunch of daisies (BIG impact for a small price), and the dessert, which were -- what else??? -- cupcakes!


Banana-Pecan Cupcakes recipe courtesy of the goddess of good things, Martha Stewart, from her book, Martha Stewart's Cupcakes

Ingredients:
3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 very ripe large bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
3 large eggs, room temp
1 cup pecans (about 4 ounces), toasted and coarsely chopped (I actually omitted the pecans for my version because I wanted a smooth and fluffy cupcake.)


Procedure:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Line standard muffin tins with paper liners (I also used mini muffin tins for smaller -- hence, cuter -- cupcakes).  Whisk together cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  In another bowl, whisk together bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
  2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.  Reduce speed to low.  Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with banana mixture, and beating until just combined after each.  Stir in pecans by hand (Like I said, I didn't do this part).
  3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.  Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester (I used a toothpick) inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes.  Transfer tins to wire racks to cool competely before removing cupcakes.  Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.

Makes 28 cupcakes.



Martha Stewart's recommended frosting was Caramel Buttercream. But I used Cream-Cheese Frosting, just because it seemed easier to make (and it is).

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
12 ounces cream cheese, room temp
1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Procedure:
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Reduce speed to low.  Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and then vanilla, and mix until smooth and combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.  If not using immediately, frosting can be refrigerated up to 3 days in an airtight container.  Before using, bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth again.



For the decoration, I divided the frosting and tinted each with different gel food coloring (I used Wilton Gel Food Coloring).  I then sprinkled sugar crystals (also from Wilton) on top of each cupcake. And, voila!


For the entree, I prepared mashed potatoes, herbed beef roast, and sauteed mushrooms. Recipes by the immortal Betty Crocker, to be featured in future posts. 

Table styling and photography by Anji Panganiban.

No comments:

Post a Comment