Friday, September 9, 2011

A paper cup of Chai Tea Latte with Lauren Turton

Spunky.  Mysterious.  Friendly.  These were the three words that kept running through my head while talking to Lauren Turton of Lauren Turton Photography.


I met Lauren at the Dayton Bridal Expo a couple weeks ago, and thought she was quite intriguing.  So I asked if I could feature her in the blog and she agreed.  We sat down together -- with my paper cup of hot Chai Tea Latte, and her plastic cup of cold berry-based shake -- in a booth in Panera at The Greene.




She hasn't been in the business very long -- less than a year.  But her passion fuels decades' worth of images.


Currently a student of photography, she maintains a wonderful appreciation for the history and art of photography, and can shoot in a wide variety of styles with many types of cameras -- whether digital, film, lomography, large-format, or even a mobile phone.


Her education has enabled her to keep an admirable balance between the traditional and the modern.  She incorporates old school techniques with the latest technology in her field, and continues to hone and build her own shooting style.  


A purist, she is dedicated to being a master of her craft rather than a Jill of many trades.  Unlike most photographers of the moment, Photoshop is not her go-to friend but a mere "colleague" that she turns to only when absolutely necessary.




SKOI: Why photography?
Lauren: I've always been the person with the camera.  As a kid, I have all these albums of (the pictures I took with) my portable camera.  I’ve always just had a camera with me.


SKOI: How did you get started in this profession?
Lauren:  Instead of graduating high school and going straight to college, I moved around the country.  I moved out west when I was 18, to Portland, then Longbeach.  I worked various jobs.  Then I moved back to the Dayton area and worked as a bartender.


I decided about a year ago to go back to school. I don’t think anything (specific) actually happened, it just clicked.  My goal had always been to go back to school at 24.  So when I turned 24, I knew I had to go back.  (And I thought), if I go back, I should pick something I like. So I chose photography.



Six months into being back in school, I was talking to my professor.  I asked him, “How do I this?”  And he said, “Just do it. Read about starting a business, and do it.”

And so I did.





SKOI: Why wedding photography?

Lauren: Six months into starting the business, I was doing freelance work for website companies.  Then I decided to get into wedding photography (mainly because) weddings are a good market.

Along with that, (I'm also doing) engagement sessions, baby sessions, and family sessions.

SKOI: What advice would you give couples who are looking to hire a photographer for their wedding?
Lauren: I would recommend, like with any other business, get a feel of and look at their online portfolio and see what they have to offer.  If it’s along the style of what you envision or want, look into them further, set up a meeting (to see) if you feel comfortable with them. 

You (will) know (and feel) that basic instinct when you get to know someone.  It is a relationship.  You should ask personal questions, get to know each other, build a relationship so there’s no weirdness during the wedding.

I would also recommend looking into the education.  There are a lot of photographers out there who have no formal education in photography. 

Having gone to school, I have knowledge in film photography, 35mm, 120mm.  I learned the old school up until the latest trends.  That’s important because I have an appreciation of a wide variety of photography.

SKOI: What cameras do you use?
Lauren: Right now, I use a Nikon D300.  I’m in the process of getting an upgrade. I also shoot with film.  I have a variety of film cameras. I also shoot with a Holga, which is lomography.

I'm also shooting with a large-format camera, the big ones with the cape.  I use it in the studio.  They’re really good for nature, but I haven’t had the chance to take it outside yet.  The film itself is either 4x5 or 8x10, so the information you’re going to get in the picture is much more (detailed) than (what) you’re gonna get in other cameras, like a 35mm.  Great name photographers, like Ansel Adams, use large-format cameras.


I also shoot a lot with cellphone apps. I know it sounds weird to shoot from a cellphone but one day my professor had a big square photo, and I said, “that looks like a Holga, but it’s digital.”  And he was like, “I shot that with my cellphone.”  And I was like, “Are we allowed to shoot with our cellphones?”  And he said, "Why not?"

SKOI: Which one is your favorite camera?
Lauren: I shoot a lot with the apps in my cellphone, and that might be one of my favorites.  It combines the past with the current.  I really like doing that.

With my large format, I’m taking the negative and not producing them in my lab – I’m printing them in my computer.  Then editing them with photoshop, and printing them on a nice printer

So I really like the combination of the old with the new.







SKOI: Who's your photographer hero?
Lauren: I don't necessarily (look up to) one photographer, per se.  But I’m gonna start with my professor, Richard Jurus.  He’s been a great inspiration because I see all that he’s done.  He's someone in a level that I would like to get to.

SKOI: Where do you get inspiration online?

Lauren: Greenweddingshoes.com – This website is amazing.  It’s very current and very trendy.  That’s something that I look at. Very creative.  Very detailed.  Very elaborate.  All that these artists are doing.  They feature all various vendors in the wedding world.  You have to be approved to be featured in that website.

SKOI: What's the greatest challenge about being a photographer?

Lauren: Right now, I’m (straddling a line) between being an artist and being in businessperson.  It’s difficult.  It’s a hard separation.  Naturally, my brain moves toward the creative but I also have to have business sense.

It might sound silly, but I look at Lady Gaga and what she does is unreal. Her numbers.  Her marketing.  Her sales.  How creative she is, but she’s still a business.

It's inspiring to see someone who started with nothing then work their way up to being very successful.  I look up at all these business people who became very successful, because I need to be good at that.

SKOI: How would you characterize your photography style? 
Lauren: I do fine art style.  In weddings, there’s a lot of photojournalism.  You also have traditional style.  Mine would be a mix of fine art and photojournalism.

For engagement sessions, I really enjoy very elaborate set-ups, like fine art.  Something like you see in the magazine, including hair, makeup, outfit.  That’s fine art.

In shooting a wedding, it can’t all be fine art.  So I also like shooting photojournalistically. Just capturing the right moment at the right time.  I’m not a fan of traditional.  But (if that's what the customer wants), I have to be realistic too.  I have to do what my clients want.

For my engagement photos, I offer stylized photo shoots, and the other photo sessions.  The photo sessions are more traditional, while the photo shoots are more fine art.



SKOI: What sets you apart from other wedding photographers?
Lauren: I think the stylized photo shoots are what sets me apart.  I take things to the next level, to a larger scale.  I have someone who works with me as a set designer and assistant.  He helps me create and execute everything.  We design, practice, and we have the two-hour shoot, then we take it down.

SKOI: How do your engagement sessions work?
Lauren: I have a questionnaire.  I ask about 5 different questions, and I figure out – what kind of wedding do you like? Say, vintage theme.  Have you thought about your save-the-dates?  Let me find a location to do this.

Photo shoots may be easier for women than the men.  Women seem more comfortable taking pictures.  (So I try to incorporate something familiar to make both individuals more comfortable.) 

For instance, I had a couple.  I asked the (bride) what her fiancé was passionate about.  She told me he really loved his vintage truck. So I incorporated that vintage truck into the photo shoot, but still made it look pretty.
It’ll be something that the groom would look back on, and make him feel comfortable.

I take that “getting to know people” to the next level and really try to show it in their photos.

SKOI: What inspires your photos?
Lauren: I’ve always liked the little things, the details – all the details that go into the big picture.  Making sure that even the smallest thing is perfect – hair, dress, what will make a beautiful picture?  That’s what I’m looking at the whole time.  I build from the details.


SKOI: Do you photoshop your pictures?

Lauren: Photoshop frustrates me. I think it’s more for graphic designers.  It gives false hope to clients that they will look like models.  The closest to editing that we do is in the dark room – show contrasts, highlight shadows.  One of my goals is to never crop a picture.  Although every now and then, I really have to.  




SKOI: If you could live anywhere, where would you build your home?
Lauren: I have a game plan for that.  I've been able to move around the country and travelled in almost every state.  My goal is to be based out of Dayton, Ohio.  By the time I’m 30, own a property by the beach – I love the beach.  Probably in Florida, where my grandparents live.  And another location overseas.  So I guess I would live everywhere near the beach.

SKOI: Mac or PC?
Lauren: Mac. I love my Mac.  I just converted, about a year ago.  My boyfriend had Mac (and he convinced me to switch).

SKOI: What's your dream photo shoot?
Lauren: My dream shoot would be landscapes – I love mountains.  I love the beach.  Just beautiful landscape with great clouds.  I love clouds. I don’t want to shoot in a clear blue sky.  I want clouds.  I want texture.  Just outside.  Especially at sunset, sunrise.  The landscape with beautiful clouds.





SKOI: If you weren't a photographer, what would you be doing? 
Lauren: I would love to live in a large property with land, probably out in the country with rolling hills.  Maintain the property and have an artist’s studio, just be able to create.  Work outside.

SKOI: How's the future look?
Lauren: I will have my photography certificate next quarter, and my associates in Fine Arts by next summer probably.  I go to Sinclair.  Then I’ll transfer somewhere for my Bachelors – and get it by the time I’m 30, then get my Masters.  If I can get two masters, I would take Fine Arts and Photography.

I’m in the process of starting a blog.  I want to redo my website.  I’m working on branding:  Facebook page, company page, website, everything!

All images by Lauren Turton from Lauren Turton Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment