Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Little Miss Library

Since graduating from university, I don't recall ever once going back to the library.  In my experience in the Philippines, the library is used mainly to conduct serious research (meaning, the information cannot be found online or the data has to come from a very reliable source), usually of the historical sort.  It wasn't a place people tended to visit for fun.

So when my husband took me to the Washington Township Public Library, I was shocked to find that it was actually, well, cool.

There was a whole wall of DVDs (regular and Blu-Ray), a room for children's books that doubled as a reading/play area, numerous displays of magazines, and rows and rows of books from teen fiction to adult fiction to cookbooks to design books to textbooks to graphic novels and so much more.  There were comfy sofas, tables, quiet nooks, computers, and wi-fi.  And their books and movies are as updated as they can get.  It's like going to Barnes & Noble (or Fully Booked), except you get to take home and read the book (or see the movie) for free! (Technically, it's paid for by taxes, but you know what I mean).

Thanks to the library, I can read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Before Ever After (Thanks for the rave, L!) before deciding if it's worthy of a spot in our little book nook.



However, I could not resist going to my current favorite place in the world and purchasing the one novel that I had long been waiting for -- it was love at first sight, and I had to have it.  Plus, I had a coupon for it -- thus, true love!

Images from Barnes & Noble.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anj! I love the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I have yet to read Before Ever After. I bought Before Ever After because of the Pinay author. Support !;-)

    Your description of the Washington Township Public Library is supposedly the ideal library of today. Gone are the days when libraries are all about books and print. I hope we could do the same in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there are cool libraries near me. If I want to read new books I just "tambay" at Powerbooks/Fullybooked. :)

    ReplyDelete