Monday, November 28, 2011

Another year

During one or many points in our lives, we wax philosophical about the meaning of life and drown ourselves in a sea of existentialism: Why is there life? What is my purpose in this world? Is there really a God? Do I matter?


Normally, this bout of Kierkegaard-ism arises during significant moments that remind one of his /her time in this world, i.e., the birthday.


Memories are odd, aren't they? There are times when I remember things so vividly, it's like I'm reliving them.  And there are instances when I am reminded by other people of their own memories with me, and I wonder why I have no recollection of them.


It's even more odd how some memories seem like they only happened yesterday.  Like when I turned eighteen -- officially an adult, filled with lofty dreams that couldn't be tied down.  


I remember my dreams then, and I am reminded of my reality now.  I realize I have been an adult for a while now.  Where had time gone? What had I done with my life? Why wasn't I where I thought I would be when I was eighteen?  Did I make the right choices? Should I have done anything differently?


Then I wake up from this hazy daze.  I look at myself in the mirror.  Perhaps it's not that I have not achieved the dreams I had dreamed before, but that my aspirations have changed.  I have changed.


I'm sure I have dreams from when I was eighteen that I still wish to fulfill.  But now, I have taken a different path.  And maybe - just maybe - there's a whole new road waiting for me to take.

1 comment:

  1. I once in a while experience having similar reflections. On my way home or in just one random day. It feels like I was just in college yesterday. But look at us now, almost to hit 30... ;-) When I was still studying, I wanted to rush things. I can't wait for graduation. When I started working, there's the excitement and enthusiasm. But now, I find myself looking back how I made my life. Is this just a part of getting younger? Is this a normal stage for everyone?

    ReplyDelete